Saturday, June 11, 2011

Just what it says...

Realizing how much money I have spent on fast food, and that I'm getting bored with my choices for fast food and mostly, that I have gained so much weight from it. I have started attempting to actually cook my meals.

I have always been cooking out of a box, lots of shells and cheese, pastaroni, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, french fries.....I have been slowly starting to cook out of my comfort zone.

I have always been able to cook eggs, usually breakfast burritos, I've also been working on being able to cook over-medium, my favorite, which while process to cook them isnt hard...getting them right and not over or undercooking them is the harder part...

So, with lots of help through the internet, friends and family and a cookbook or two, I've been trying my hand at real cooking, I started small, with some homemade mashed potatoes and chicken breast, I was always very nervous when it came to cooking raw chicken. I have also been successful with homemade hash browns, fried potatoes (My only real experience with cooking with oil was working at DQ for just over a year). I recently have been utilizing the George Foreman grill, and have made just grilled chicken, for a Caesar Salad, BBQ chicken and just tonight I made Cheese Burgers, for the very first time (I also made these at DQ but not much to know when all you do is put them on a belt frozen and they came out cook). I have also worked with ground turkey enough times and am not afraid of the oven at all.

I usually post this stuff up on my facebook, and I know that most people could care less, so thats the reason behind this, and hopefully wanting to update this will hinder my craving for fast food

Any comments, ideas, are highly welcomed! I am just trying to keep it cheap, something I dont have to make all at once, hence why I like chicken breast and burgers. I don't do well with left overs...I never eat them and am fine with making the same thing again when im ready too.

So if you have a recipe or an idea, that works for single servings maybe two, feel free, I'm willing to try almost anything once :)

3 comments:

Bradley's Grandma Sheila said...

Congratulations on your new adventure. I have been cooking since I was a kid and I still love it. And I am still learning. You can't go wrong with any good, fresh food. If you can read a recipe....but watching the food-network, during the afternoon and morning, you will find plenty of help. Also, go to your library and you may find Julia Childs CD's from her old TV shows. She is fabulous. Have fun. And don't ignore fresh veggies and herbs.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, girl! You must watch the movie "Julie and Julia". It's about a cooking blog. It's a really good movie, too. Don't give up on the casseroles yet. Sometimes those leftover's taste pretty good after a long day's work! I'll look up some easy recipes and send some to you! Good luck!

kylie said...

I saw it back in the theaters, I really liked it. Although its not the main reason for it...like I said, so I don't have to bog down peoples walls, and to hopefully help me keep up with it. There are some casseroles I make, Hobos espeically, but I more of want stuff I can be done with and eating within like 30 minutes...

And Shelia thanks, I look for some of her books, even though I dont get cable, it'll just be another thing I can steal from your daughter-in-law ;)